Florida News Reporter and Nine Year-Old Girl Murdered in Orlando by the Same Suspect
Keith Melvin Moses, 19, of Pine Hills, is in the Orange County Jail. He was charged with one count of murder after allegedly shooting and killing Dylan Lyons, a Spectrum news reporter covering an earlier murder, a 9-Year-old girl, and wounded two others on Tuesday afternoon.
Orange County Sheriff John Mina said Wednesday evening that the shootings in the Pine Hills neighborhood left three people killed and two others critically injured.
The sheriff’s office said that deputies responded to the area at about 4 p.m. EST. The call came five hours after an incident in the same neighborhood where a woman was shot to death, WFTV reported.
According to Orange County Sheriff John Mina, the news crew, a reporter, and a photographer from Spectrum News 13 in Orlando were reporting from the scene of the earlier murder in the area of Hialeah Street near Balboa Drive and North Hastings Street at 4:05 p.m.
Mina said that Moses walked up to the Spectrum news vehicle and fired, killing the reporter and wounding the photographer, WFTV reported. The reporter and photographer were in or near a vehicle not marked as a media car when they were shot.
“The suspect is not saying much right now,” Mina said. “It is unclear if he knew they were news media or not.”
Mina said Moses then walked down the street into a house and shot the 9-year-old girl and her mother. Mina added that the motive for the shootings was unclear and said there is no apparent connection between Moses and the mother and child shot Wednesday afternoon.
“So, I am going to acknowledge what a horrible day this has been for our community and our media partners,” Mina told reporters. “I work closely with all of you and know many of you and know the very difficult job that you do. And also the very important job you do for our community and for law enforcement.”
Investigators said Keith Melvin Moses, 19, is accused in this case and a shooting at that location earlier in the day that left a woman in her 20s dead.
Listen as reporter who knew one of the victims talks live from the scene 🙏
— Wake Up Waverly (@WaverlyWakeUp) February 23, 2023
This is 19-year-old Keith Melvin Moses, the suspect in a series of shootings today that left three dead, including a woman in her 20's a 9-year-old girl and a News13 employee. We extend our deepest condolences to all of their families. This is a sad day for our community. pic.twitter.com/whq8DfbmPR
— Orange County Sheriff's Office (@OrangeCoSheriff) February 23, 2023
In that case, Investigators were called at about 11:15 a.m. to Hialeah Street near Balboa Drive and North Hastings Street after reports of a shooting.
Upon arrival, deputies discovered a woman in her 20s who was dead at the scene. Mina said that Moses was “an acquaintance” of the woman.
The victim’s identity has not been released.
Mina said Moses has a lengthy criminal history, including gun charges, aggravated battery and assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, and grand theft.
Moses was arrested in the area and is being charged in the initial slaying, Mina said. The sheriff said Moses would be charged in the four other shootings later. According to the sheriff, Moses was allegedly arrested while armed with a firearm that authorities believe will link him to the shootings.
Other stories you may want to read:
- [Video] NYC Baseball Bat Thug Attacks Random Stranger - July 12, 2023
- California Assembly Blocks Child Trafficking Bill - July 12, 2023
- Georgia Mayor Arrested for Burglary – ‘Do You Know Who the F*** I Am’ - July 10, 2023