Manslaughter Charges Against Alec Baldwin Dropped In ‘Rust’ Shooting
Criminal charges against actor Alec Baldwin, 65, over the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, on the set of his movie “Rust” have been dropped.
Baldwin pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter on Oct. 21, 2021, shooting of Hutchins on the New Mexico movie set after a pistol he was using for a scene fired a real bullet, killing Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.
Souza was standing behind Hutchins, viewing a camera angle as Baldwin rehearsed a scene in which he was to draw his revolver and point it at the camera when Baldwin shot him and Hutchins.
In a statement to The New York Post, Baldwin’s lawyers, Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro said,
“We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin, and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident.”
Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the film’s armorer, still faces charges of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the shooting. Assistant director David Halls pleaded no contest to a single count of the negligent use of a deadly weapon.
Halls allegedly handed the gun to Baldwin before shooting the scene but neglected to make sure the gun didn’t hold live ammunition.
Baldwin claimed he never pulled the gun’s trigger, but FBI investigators determined there was no other way the shot would have fired. The gun, the agency reported, “could not be made to fire without a pull of the trigger.”
Sheriff’s Investigators who searched the ‘Rust’ set described finding a mix of live and dummy rounds around the set.
“We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident.” https://t.co/H8TchnapmE
— Amee Vanderpool (@girlsreallyrule) April 20, 2023
The case against actor Alec Baldwin following the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the 'Rust' film set has been dismissed, his lawyers have said.https://t.co/flZVQpZ15O
— ITV News (@itvnews) April 20, 2023
Earlier on the day of the shooting, the ammunition “was left on a cart on the set, not secured,” while the crew took a lunch break, according to investigators.
Hutchins’ family sued Baldwin in February. They argued that he was at fault for Hutchins’ shooting death because he was the “person holding the weapon.”
According to the Hutchens family’s attorney, Brian Panish, it was “clear what happened.”
“He had the gun; he says he pulled the hammer back, it fired, and she was killed. … The experts will look at it and make any determinations, but we don’t think any defect in the weapon caused this.”
Baldwin is seeking to have the lawsuit dismissed.
Other stories you may want to read:
- [Video] NYC Baseball Bat Thug Attacks Random Stranger - July 12, 2023
- California Assembly Blocks Child Trafficking Bill - July 12, 2023
- Georgia Mayor Arrested for Burglary – ‘Do You Know Who the F*** I Am’ - July 10, 2023