Making It Rain: DeSantis Shatters Fundraising Records, Donating to Down-Ballot Republicans
Governor Ron DeSantis has accumulated an incredible $177.4 million, more than any governor in any state in history, all before the recent Martha’s Vineyard story erupted into national prominence.
Open Secrets reported state campaign finance records to show DeSantis’ re-election campaign raised over $31.4 million in Florida since January 2021. However, DeSantis’ state-level PAC, Friends of Ron DeSantis, has raised $146 million, some coming from Gavin Newsom’s in-laws.
DeSantis’ massive political war chest has likely only gotten bigger since sending 50 illegal immigrants to Martha’s Vineyard, a wealthy leftist island in Massachusetts, last week, sparking democrat national outrage.
Open Secrets compiled a list of the top 20 most likely presidential candidates for 2024, including sub-ranking factors like fundraising. On that front, DeSantis is blowing out the competition.
The top five read:
- Ron DeSantis (R), governor of Florida, $174,285,801.
- J.B. Pritzker (D), governor of Illinois, $133,252,795.
- Donald Trump (R), former U.S. president, $131,052,563.
- Tim Scott (R), U.S. Senator from South Carolina, $35,325,367.
- Mike Pence (R), former U.S. vice president, $18,000,000.
Ganin Newsom, who’s repeatedly attacked DeSantis, likely in hopes of gaining more national attention, only managed to rais $6,776,976.
DeSantis is not keeping all of his funds to himself; however, he is donating sizeable portions to other Florida Republicans down the ballot in hopes of growing legislative majorities.
Trump, however, has not been handing out donations to Republican candidates, despite multiple requests. At least, not yet.
Other stories you may want to read:
- Broward County Agrees to Revise Sex Ed Standards That Could Violate State Law - January 31, 2023
- Miami Mayor Francis Suarez Teases 2024 Presidential Run - January 30, 2023
- Reports: DeSantis Advisors are Actively Preparing for a 2024 Presidential Run - January 30, 2023