Boca Raton Man Found Dead of Self-Inflicted Gunshot With Inert Grenade After Standoff

Boca Raton Man Justin Moore, 61, of Boca Raton, was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after barricading himself in his home with a grenade, causing evacuations and several road closures.

Subscribe to Florida Jolt Newsletter!

The drama started around 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday when Boca Raton police officers responded to the 30 block of Southwest Fifth Way. They say Moore handed his wife the pin of a hand grenade and told her to leave the house. She left the house and called the police. When officers arrived, she met with them and provided additional information, which further raised officers’ concern for Moore’s welfare and mental state.

Hand Grenade

The Boca Raton SWAT team, bomb squad, and drone team all responded, as well as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit from the 482nd Tactical Fighter Wing at Homestead Air Reserve Base. A section of Palmetto Park Road was closed and evacuated because of its proximity to the possible explosive device, police said.

Crisis Negotiators attempted to contact Moore but were unsuccessful. The Bomb and Drone teams then used a robot to enter the house, where Moore was found dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

With the robot inside giving them eyes inside the home, officers could see Moore was still holding the suspected grenade in his hand, but it was unknown if the grenade was live or inert and posed a threat.

“The Boca Raton Police are thankful for the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and the United States Air Force’s 482 Explosive Ordinance Disposal Flight yesterday while investigating a report of a barricaded subject with a grenade along the 30 block of SW 5th Way. The subject, identified as 61-year-old Justin Moore, was believed to be inside his residence with a live grenade and other weapons.

The Bomb Team, with the assistance of federal and military resources, was able to address the grenade in Moore’s hand safely. After a thorough investigation, the device was determined to be an inert authentic military grenade.

Moore died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, and police said they were able to address the explosive device safely.

Follow Florida Jolt on Twitter

Boca Raton Police thanked the public for their patience and understanding, and residents could return to their homes, and the roads were reopened.

Other stories you may want to read:

Washington Woman to Be Arrested for Refusing Treatment or Isolation for Tuberculosis

Florida Isn’t NYC or Chicago-No Happy Meal For Man Given 30 Years for Shooting at Police During McDonald’s Standoff

Share via
Share via
Send this to a friend